Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Trick or Treating (published on Wednesday, October 31, 2007)

Dear Editor:

So Halloween is around the corner and we will be inundated with little ghosts and witches again. Have to admit I enjoy the little ones who bravely knock, say trick or treat and then want to eat their candy right there on your step, as opposed to the huge teenagers who seem to race from door to door with their full pillowcases.
In fact until last year, I rather resented having to hand out candy to these barely costumed trick-or-treaters who were certainly past their prime, and so I would give them one piece since I knew they would be out for hours, whereas the wee ones would get a handful because I knew they would last about 5 houses!
It was my daughter who put it into perspective for me.......at the age of 15, I felt she was way past trick or treating age (we usually stop our kids at about 12) but when I told her that, she quickly responded: "Actually Mom, I can be trick or treating with friends or be out at a party getting totally drunk like others I know! Which would you rather have me do?"
Leave it to my kids to teach me a valuable lesson once again.......
I was completely happy to have her grab her pillowcase and go chocolate bar hunting. So if you are discouraging the larger trick or treaters, will you change your mind and be grateful they are safe and sound on your doorstep and not out drinking and driving.
I certainly am.
Happy Halloween Kamloops.

No comments: