Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Cleavage Control (published on Thursday, August 30, 2007)

Dear Editor.......
Unlike Sandra O'Reilly, (Where's the Investigative Reporting? Aug. 22) I quite enjoy the Daily News and its coverage. If there is a column I don't enjoy I simply skip over it.......sorry but the sports pages pretty much gets the heave ho and so do the classifieds most of the time.

I do enjoy Susan Duncan's column and have read every one, don't always agree but love reading her comments. One of her columns (Whether 50 is the new 30 depends on the perspective, Aug. 10) made me laugh but also made me think about what I have been experiencing quite a bit lately........and that is, the amount of cleavage that seems to be showing up more and more in the work force. Frankly, I'm dismayed at how often women seem to have thrown out the professional standard of dress when they are working with the public! Whether in my doctor's office, at school, or even shopping I have been seeing many women's shirts slipping lower and lower.

People seem to be confusing beach attire with work attire. What's permissible at the beach or pool is really not tasteful in the office. I'm assuming that most work environments have a dress code where its employees are asked to dress neat, clean and appropriate. Are we redefining appropriate? Cleavage and/or underwear should not be on display when you are dealing with patients, customers or clients. It makes me uncomfortable and frustrated when I am waited on by someone who is dressed inappropriately. I usually avert my eyes and try to focus on their face.....and if at all possible, I do not frequent that business again! Employers are not off the hook here, they need to address the issue and make sure the employees in their office are dressing professionally, because otherwise it brings down the tone of the office.

I have been trying to ignore this situation for awhile now, but it came to my attention again last week when I was with my children shopping at a major department store. When we went to make an appointment for family pictures, the girl at the counter was not only showing cleavage but her bra was completely visible and coming out. I dislike confrontation but this was beyond what I could bear, so I quietly and discreetly told her the problem. She quickly said sorry and pulled up her shirt. I have also been in a fabric store where I was attended by a woman wearing a black mesh top with a completely visible bra underneath, and I have walked into a doctor's office where the receptionist, because she was sitting down, had her whole chest visible. I have seen countless white blouses that are completely see through and wondered if people actually look in the mirror before they walk out the door! On the other hand, I have also seen some women dress beautifully and it is a pleasure to visit with them because the image they portray is of confidence and self-assurance.

I realize that this subject may be controversial to some, but if it makes people stop and think about how they dress in a professional capacity then hopefully it will make a difference. Anyone who thinks that men are enjoying this, need to be reminded that at least in my house, I do 99% of the shopping, appointments and household business and as a woman I am not particularly interested in seeing anyone else's cleavage! So if you're working, please pull it up, cover it up or layer it up.....let's make tasteful triumph over tacky! Your customers will appreciate it!

No comments: